Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Little Miracles...

So, today was Parker's birthday.  Since Rob had to go straight to school from work we let Parker open almost all of his presents at breakfast.  It was nice for him to be able to play with them all day while Riley was at school... hard to get Riley to go to school though.  His favorite present was his 'Indiana Jones Sound Effects Whip'.  And that is exactly what he calls it every time he talks about it.  It reminds me of A Christmas Story.  So cute and so dramatic. 
We weren't planning any kind of birthday stuff tonight because tomorrow we are going to the Mayan to celebrate.  However, last night as he was going to sleep he told me he was dreaming of his cake.  It was an Army cake.  How could I deny him that?  So here it is.  Or at least this is how it started... 


The plain camo looked pretty cool, but I just couldn't leave it at that.  So I had to set up a fight scene.  And add dirt.





I didn't count on the camo being quite so good at hiding the army guys from the top view, but I guess that's kind of what it does.

When I turned around I found Jackson eating out of the frosting bowl with the bridge from Indiana Jones Life as his spoon.  I wish I had taken a photo of him in action, but I sacrificed the photo op for the game so this is all I got.



The boys were really wound up after cake and playing all afternoon, so I tried something a little different.  I think I hypnotized them.  I told them they were on the plane with Indy in Temple of Doom and Indy had just put the hat over his face and fallen to sleep and so they did the same.  While they were asleep they went digging with Indy and he started to bury them with sand, starting with their toes and working his way up.  By the time I got to the belly button Riley said 'Mom, I really can't move my legs.' Which is when I had to tell them that if he didn't close his mouth Indy might put sand in it so he wouldn't talk... it kind of killed the mood from all the giggling, but it was worth it.  The were still asleep within 5 minutes and I don't think they have moved a muscle in the past 3 hours.  It was a fun day with the boys.  My favorite gift that Parker got today was actually from Riley.  It's not the Lego Indiana Jones Set either.  Riley did this one all on his own with NO parental prompting involved.  He trated him like a great big brother should... he opened doors for him, let him go first, he didn't fight with him at all and he shared like a champ.  He even showed him how to strap the whip onto Parker's pants instead of his own.  I hope Riley saw how much love was in Parkers face today for him.  He looks up to him so much and I'm glad that today Riley gave him a reason to.  Today, he was the best big brother you could ask for.  I hope Riley understood how proud I was of him today when I told him.  I guess some things really are priceless.

2 comments:

kelly said...

What a good brother! That was like a present for you too. I would have been bursting if Josh did that for his little bro.
So sweet.

Allison said...

I'm so excited you have a blog too! Thanks for the comment on mine. I'm so ready to have this baby! I know you know how I feel! 3 boys here I come!!!